Fruitport Lions Club Serving Humanity Since 1948
The Fruitport Lions Club was sponsored in 1948 by the Muskegon Host Club. Thirty five members strong, they embarked on a journey of service to those in need. Original membership was comprised of citizens and business owners in Fruitport. Industrialists to dairymen, a dentist and an insurance salesman all united toward the goals of Lionism. Present day members can trace relatives and family friends to the original group. The Fruitport Lions Club has a track record of community support in addition to state and international projects.
Over two hundred thousand dollars in scholarships has been provided to graduating seniors of Fruitport High School. Eyeglasses, a new septic system, numerous ramps and roofs, a new bathroom for Pomona Park (site of Old Fashioned Days) show the tone and effort of the club. Support for school age sports from summer baseball to a batting cage at the high school, band uniforms, score boards, a typewriter and several computers, support of student council, equestrian team, and athletic boosters club show the mettle of the club. The Spring Lake Lions Club was sponsored by the Fruitport Lions Club. They also sponsored the Blue Sky Lions Club of Muskegon which chartered on November 7, 2008. Fifteen club members have perfect attendance beyond 10 years. Ten of those have perfect attendance of 20 years or more. Four members have perfect beyond 30 years. Lion Gordon Mol leads the list with 41 years of perfect attendance. Lion Ron Cooper has been a member for 53 years. Presently he Fruitport Lions Club is 57 members strong.
Current projects include , food basket program (Thanksgiving and Easter), Fruitport High School scholarships (To date the Fruitport Lions Club has made college scholarship donations to graduates of Fruitport High School in excess of $200,000.00), state and international projects. The Fruitport Lions Club committed to be an Emerald Club for Campaign Sight First t II. Recently the club celebrated its 60th anniversary. At that time, two new members were installed, confirming a commitment to the future of service established by those farsighted men in 1948.